Increasing instability

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Hi folks,

Just a friendly comment

I am finding this product (while quite excellent when it works) is becoming more and more unstable with each release.  Just wondering if folks when making code changes could put in some basic defensive error handling, invariant notation and also perform some basic code 'proof reading' to test for defect injection rather than relying on test automation tools would go a long way to improving product stability.  :)

So far in the code I have seen console.writelines displaying variables 'before' they are assigned a value.  No checking of input parameters before making changes to them (stripping off quotes without testing they were there, or testing if the resulting directory is valid or even exists).  I am not sure that its a good idea to rely on mutable variables always being valid during the execution of code so it might be worth while sticking in a few more checks than there currently is.

Also, I am finding that currently  when the product throws an exception half way through the build, it locks visual studio (requiring a reboot to clear the hung process), although there is a work-a-round by saying yes, to debug, then promptly closing the debugger. :)

Cheers

Andy