Unable to Deploy WebPart to SP instance

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM

hi all,

new to all this so please bear with me.

i have created a new basic solution with the STSDEV tool.  Its just the example webpart with a a label. I adjusted the Targets file to point to my SP instance but am having issues on the Deployment part of the build.

I have scoured the net for the past two hours trying to figure out what is going on - i have a feeling its with the targets file but have really no clue.

I was wondering is the actual WebPart supposed to be copied to the WSS Root Files dir (aka : (ProgramFiles)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12) ? because i cant find any new folder or files added.  I am wondering could this be a security issue?  I am running Vista 64bit. 

any help is appreciated. Thanks

Here is the error message:

Deploying Solution...

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe" -o deploysolution -name PageRanking.wsp -immediate -allowgacdeployment -allcontenturls

This solution contains resources scoped for a Web application and must be deployed to one or more Web applications.

C:\mywork\DeploymentFiles\Microsoft.SharePoint.targets(57,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe" -o deploysolution -name PageRanking.wsp -immediate -allowgacdeployment -allcontenturls" exited with code -1.

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM

i managed to figure it out finally:

in the DebugDeploy section of Microsoft.SharePoint.targets i had to change

<Exec Command="$(STSADM) -o deploysolution -name $(PackageName) -immediate -allowgacdeployment -allcontenturls" />

with

<font size="2" color="#0000ff"><font size="2" color="#0000ff">

<

</font></font><font size="2" color="#0000ff">

</font>

Exec Command="$(STSADM) -o deploysolution -name $(PackageName) -immediate -allowgacdeployment -url $(TargetUrl) -force" />

it now works.  on to figuring out how to debug now.