Using STSDev on a dev machine without sharepoint?

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM
Is it possible to use STSDEV on a development machine without sharepoint installed and redirect the variables in the Microsoft.SharePoint.targets file to the sharepoint server.  I was thinking I could map a drive to the sharepoint server's C:\ directory and point the Microsoft.SharePoint.targets file to the mapped drive.  I running the stsadm.exe utility like this but it bombed out. 
Feb 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM
Hi,

I've just started with this tool, but what I've done so far with development on a different machine than my WSS server is using PsTool's PsExec to run StsAdm, GacUtil and resetting the web application remotely. So the first thing, I'm gonna try is change some nodes in the PropertyGroup node of Microsoft.SharePoint.targets and put PsExec in it. I'll let you know if it works.
What I additionally am interested in is, how to change the project template in order to:
- create projects standard with these modification
- support different deployment target environments for debugging, testing, acceptance tests and production
Feb 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Hi,

Little update: I've managed to get this thing to work: psexec now runs stsadm remotely. Because there are a lot of problems with PsExec running inside of other applications like Visual Studio - Google on it, if you want to learn more about this - and because there is no - simple - solution to this, I've chosen to create batch files to call stsadm. After al preparations are done, the batch file is run and stsadm runs just fine. I also work with multiple servers - one per developer for development, one for testing and one production server - and this can be managed from simple xml files. If you're interested, give me hint.