Web projects instead of class libraries

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM
Is there any reason stsdev always creates class libraries instead of web projects?  Web projects still compile an assembly, and they have the added bonus of Visual Studio support for aspx, ascx, etc.  Using a web project means studio will handle the code behinds and designer files for you (i.e. nest them in the file explorer), add control declarations to the cs file when you add a control to the html code, etc.  I think this would be a really nice improvement, especially if the change happens for stsdev to add files to the cab intelligently instead of just adding all files found under the rootfiles folder (since we don't want those code behind files in the wsp).
Jul 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Howdy Mike,

I have been playing around with this idea as well. 
I've modified the project file and added this just under the <PropertyGroup> node. 

<ProjectTypeGuids>{349c5851-65df-11da-9384-00065b846f21};{fae04ec0-301f-11d3-bf4b-00c04f79efbc}</ProjectTypeGuids>

This turns my class library into a web application project, allowing me to easily create user controls. 
When I do create a usercontrol, I have to place a <%@ Assembly Name="XYZ" %> reference as the first element in the source code of the ascx, and modify NameSpaces for the ascx and ascx.cs files.

I would like to see this as a STSDEV project type.

Does anybody else have any experience with this idea?
Keith