Deploying an stsadm extension with STSDEV

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:41 PM
Hi, I'm trying to deploy an stsadm extension but perhaps I'm missing something or the functionality hasn't been implemented yet. I ran through the STSDEV wizard and picked the option "Empty Solution (C# Assembly)".

As far as I know, if you want to deploy an stsadm extension as a solution, the manifest.xml file should look something like this where the command xml file is listed under the node "<RootFiles>".

<

Solution xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/" SolutionId="D73214C0-62BE-4c67-8BBF-070303DB0702">
        <
RootFiles>
            <
RootFile Location="CONFIG\stsadmcommands.masterpagecommands.xml"/>
        </
RootFiles>

<

Assemblies>
    <
Assembly DeploymentTarget="GlobalAssemblyCache" Location="Custom.MasterPageCommands.dll" />
</
Assemblies>

</
Solution>

If I add the CONFIG folder to the "RootFolder" tab in Visual Studio, it doesn't add it automatically when I build the project. If I add it manually to the manifest.xml file, then it will be wiped out when I build it since the manifest.xml file seems to be re-created during builds. Am I missing something for how to do this or should I not use STSDEV for this task?

TIA,
Magnus

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Did you ever find an answer? I have the same problem

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:55 AM

I was not able to get it to work with STSDEV so I just setup my own build script etc.