STSDEV v1.2

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Some points to notice regarding STSDEV v1.2:

1. File paths in the STSDEV code contain "C:" drive letter, which is a problem if your Windows system is on another drive.

2. Projects under Visual Studio folders do not build because the path to the solution directory contains spaces e.g. "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects". Suspect this can be resolved by enclosing $(SolutionDir) in double quotes in the following line from the Microsoft.SharePoint.targets file - but haven't been able to work out how to do this so far

<Exec Command="$(STSDEV) /refresh $(TargetName) $(SolutionDir)" ContinueOnError="true" />

3. Apart from DebugBuild, the other configurations such as DebugUpgrade do not generate a .pdb file which means you cannot debug the code-behind, because the .pdb previously generated by DebugBuild will be older than the new .dll. You have to edit the solution .csproj file to add in the required elements <DebugType>full</DebugType> etc.

Otherwise, a wonderful piece of software!

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM
I agree.

Wonderful tool, easy to use.

BUT - support for directory names with spaces should be added. It tooks us quite a while to find out that this tool has severe problems with directory names that contain spaces.
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM
2. Use this: <Exec Command="$(STSDEV) /refresh &quot;$(TargetName)&quot; &quot;$(SolutionDir)&quot;" ContinueOnError="true" />

I fixed this and when i'm able to merge my changes to the main branch it should be included in a future release.

PS: I don't know if you have access to the code, but to make this work, i had to change a line in Program.cs:

string SolutionDirectory = args[2];

by

string SolutionDirectory = args[2].Replace("\"", "\\");

Send me an email you don't have access to the sourcecode and can't recompile it. I'll send you my "home" version.
May 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the tip about:

<DebugType>full</DebugType>

Worked a treat for me!