References & temporary files

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Hey everybody.

Got to say, this tool really has some great potential. I know this is a proof of concept, so you guys are probably not taking any feature requests. So, here goes nothing:

• References: It would be really nice if you could add references to your project so we could add more DLL's to the solution. eg. Once you build the solution, it'll add new assembly entries and SafeControls entries to the config file.

• Temporary files: I'd use STSDEV's empty solution without the assembly. It would be nice if all the temporary files (bin, obj) would not be created. I like to have my project structure clean :-)

Ok, those were my remarks. As I said, I don't really know if you guys are open to feature requests. But one small question though, as this is a proof of concept. Do you guys plan on updating the tool? If not, I know I can download the source and implement those requests myself. (it's quite painful to add some custom code when the project is still active :p)

Cheers
Feb 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Tombo wrote:
Hey everybody.

Got to say, this tool really has some great potential. I know this is a proof of concept, so you guys are probably not taking any feature requests. So, here goes nothing:

• References: It would be really nice if you could add references to your project so we could add more DLL's to the solution. eg. Once you build the solution, it'll add new assembly entries and SafeControls entries to the config file.

• Temporary files: I'd use STSDEV's empty solution without the assembly. It would be nice if all the temporary files (bin, obj) would not be created. I like to have my project structure clean :-)

Ok, those were my remarks. As I said, I don't really know if you guys are open to feature requests. But one small question though, as this is a proof of concept. Do you guys plan on updating the tool? If not, I know I can download the source and implement those requests myself. (it's quite painful to add some custom code when the project is still active :p)

Cheers

I agree with the references problem. I haven't figured a way around this as the default way STSDEV is setup isn't the way I work (for example I don't have one big assembly for everything). Also it's difficult to build a solution where you have a feature receiver and web parts. The receiver has to be deployed to the GAC while the web parts should be in the bin. It's hard to do this kind of setup with what STSDEV creates.

As for the empty solultion without an assembly, this is a restriction with Visual Studio not STSDEV. Visual Studio will generate an assembly even on "empty" projects. The problem is you can't add files (like say the RootFiles and DeploymentFiles tree) to a solution (well, you can and have to do it by recreating the physical structure with solution folders, but that's a PITA).
Mar 4, 2008 at 9:08 PM

bsimser wrote:

Tombo wrote:
Hey everybody.

Cheers

I agree with the references problem. I haven't figured a way around this as the default way STSDEV is setup isn't the way I work (for example I don't have one big assembly for everything). Also it's difficult to build a solution where you have a feature receiver and web parts. The receiver has to be deployed to the GAC while the web parts should be in the bin. It's hard to do this kind of setup with what STSDEV creates.

As for the empty solultion without an assembly, this is a restriction with Visual Studio not STSDEV. Visual Studio will generate an assembly even on "empty" projects. The problem is you can't add files (like say the RootFiles and DeploymentFiles tree) to a solution (well, you can and have to do it by recreating the physical structure with solution folders, but that's a PITA).

Isn't this really because the Empty Solution that stsdev generates is a really C# project? If there was some other project type that didn't invoke the C# compiler by default wouldn't not generate a DLL?
Mar 5, 2008 at 1:48 PM

mmascolino wrote:
Isn't this really because the Empty Solution that stsdev generates is a really C# project? If there was some other project type that didn't invoke the C# compiler by default wouldn't not generate a DLL?

There's no such thing as an "empty" project in Visual Studio. While you can create on (there's a template for it) it still generates an assembly as it's based on the Class Library template. The only thing truly "empty" is a solultion but you can't add files to a solution.

One way I get around this (which is painful, especially on large projects) is to create solution folders (not physical ones they're virtual ones inside a solution) and mimic the physical 12 folder structure here. Once you have a solution folder in a solution, you can add existing files to it. This is what I do in my SharePoint 2007 projects and it works well. The .build file (in my case NAnt but could be a MSBuild file) will handle creating the output (say with WSPBuilder).