I solved the problem. This might be quite obvious but I didn't think of it. I was using a project that was generated with STSDEV before I changed the ReleaseBuild target and (obviously) it does not recreate the project once it has been created. When I
created a new project it worked like a charm.
Thanks for helping me out with the bugg in the target.
I should have mentioned this yesterday, but to get this to work, I made the following changes:
-modified the "ReleaseBuild" target (refer to previous post)
-rebuilt with the "DebugBuild" configuration as the stsdev /refresh is required to regnerate the .ddf file
-restarted visual studio to ensure nothing was cached
-rebuilt with the "ReleaseBuild" configuration
This worked for me, but If all else fails, fix it in the source code. The problem is clearly the <Delete> task that precedes the makecab execution. Hope this helps.
Ok, this still does not solve the problem. The SolutionPackage.ddf file is still deleted and MAKECAB can't run.